Sunday, February 10, 2013

I'm a MONSTER...??


I'm a MONSTER...??



What do you say when your step kids come back from a visit with their mother, and they call you a monster....?



When divorces are ugly, and the kids pay the price of a parent who does not care about their mental wellbeing... only how much she can hurt the other party... what do you do or say when the kids call you a monster?

MAKE IT FUN...or FUNNY for the kids!! Ask them questions...

  • What kind of monster am I?
  • Am I a cookie monster?
  • Am I a chocolate monster?
  • Am I a tickle monster?
    • Pull out the Tickle Claw (your hand), and tickle them... make them laugh!
  • Am I blue?
  • Do I have only 1 eye?
  • What planet am I from?
Create a different mental tag for them that makes them laugh and associates humor... this will help them deal with the stresses they face, and create a strong bond between you. 

NEVER... let me say it again... NEVER let them see how much it upsets you!! Kids want to please whomever they are with, and they do not know how to deal with your anger.  So please count to 10 or give yourself a mental anchor to make a funny face or joke, and get them laughing. 

Your in it for the long game, and the kids will appreciate your kindness and humor. They will end up having a stronger bond with you, than the hateful parent who is unable to control their emotional state. 

Another good rule is to always tell the truth. When a child has a question, I encourage you to tell the truth. NOW... the truth you tell them should not be filled with hateful details. Keep it simple, and kind. Always be KIND!! 



1 comment:

  1. That sounds like excellent advice. It is so easy to just insult right back or show anger, and kids don't respond to that! You are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete