Summer Fun For Kids
As a Step Mommy keeping the kids busy with fun activities has been a fun challenge! Here are the Top Ten Activities that my kids enjoy!
1. The Pool, whether it's the public pool with water slides, or the plastic play pool from the local store. My kids love to splash and play in the water! This is hours of entertainment!
2. The Zoo is so much fun! We purchased season passes (not much more than the daily pass for 1 day). We visit the Zoo, and see different animals and talk about their habitats. They also love to visit the bird feeding exhibit where birds land on them and eat bird seed glued to a stick. This has been a huge hit!
3. The Beach is great fun for the kids. The waves, tide pools, sand castles, and playgrounds make it irresistible for kids! Lots of Sun & Fun!!
4. Petting Farm has been great! We are fortunate to live in Washington where local farmers have petting zoos for the kids! They love to feed the animals, and some even give horse back rides to the little ones.
5. The Aquarium is a favorite. They are able see the underwater world, and play in the tide pools experiencing many different creatures! They love the jellyfish, octopus, walrus, and shark exhibits.
6. Flying Kites has been a fun time! They love to run and launch them into the sky and watch them fly! We have them help build the kites, and use this to teach time about aerodynamics.
7. Shooting Rockets at the park! You can order them online or find them at stores in your area. We have a great time shooting them off and seeing them parachute to the ground! FYI- check you local city ordinances before finding a launch site.
8. Gymnastics Free Play is a great activity, and most of your local Gymnastic Gyms have specific days and times that you are able to let your kids experience all the fun trampolines, cushy mats, and bars to swing from like monkeys! This is a great way to expend energy and get fun exercise.
9. Bouncy Gym, at least that's what I call them. This is the new phenom where local businesses take a warehouse and fill it with Bouncy Houses. They have huge soft slides, large soft obstacle courses with ropes and ladders, and many other different types of Bouncy Houses all in the same building! The kids run wild and have a great time!
10. Kayaking is another great Summer time activity that you can do with your kids! Whether it's sea kayaking or lake kayaking the kids love to get out on the water! Playing in the water and teaching them water safety is a fantastic adventure! We pack a lunch, and lots of drinks for a day of fun! Look for businesses that rent kayaks in your area. Oh.. and bring lots of sunscreen!!
I hope this gives you some fun ideas, and ways to connect with your kids on this Summer Vacation! They grow so quickly, and teaching them how to explore their environment is a great life lesson for them now, and when they're adults! Play often!